Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flipped Learning



Recently in our SEDU 183 class, we were to research what a Flipped Learning classroom is. The general jist of what I gained came from a video on the Flipped Learning Network as well as a November Learning article. I took Flipped Learning to be teachers providing students with a lesson (possibly on an iPad) that they take home and/or review online for homework. This is typically in the form of a video. Any questions that students have are then uploaded to a class Facebook page where the teacher will sort through and know what to go over. When they come to school the next day, the teacher will be there to provide more individualized instruction to each student. The main goal of Flipped Learning I then decided was to provide the teacher with more time in the class to help students if they didn't understand parts of the lesson. This website is very helpful in breaking down what a flipped classroom is and is not. Also, this website shows what a good flipped classroom is like.
 
 
 
One possible outcome I see is more independent learning. Students are teaching themselves the lessons at home, and the teacher is there as a guide and resource for questions. This will better prepare students for college and teach them that they will have to be more self-relient. Another outcome I see is more one-on-one time with the teacher. This can help teachers focus directly on each individual students' needs. A drawback I see with flipped learning is if a student does not do their lesson at home. The student was responsible for doing their homework so that when they came to class the next day they asked questions about things they didn't understand. If the child did not do their work at home will they be given time in school to do so? At such a young age I feel this could be a huge responsibility, probably too much for a 5-year old to handle.

Seeing as I am going for Early Childhood and Special Education, even though I do feel this is a neat idea, it does not seem practical for my area of teaching. I feel Special Education students especially would have trouble with this because they need that direct instruction and direct supervision. Also, as I explained before, I feel a 5 or 6-year old is too young to have so much responsibility of teaching themselves how to count to 10 for example. These young children need to be taught how to learn before they can go off on their own and do so. If I was in the High School setting though I feel this would be more appropriate. I feel it would prepare students on how to study and learn for college as well as give opportunity for more in-class discussion.

If you would like to "flip" your own classroom, there is a book you can purchase that explains how to do so which is actually pictured at the top of this post! If that doesn't do it for you,
check out this testimonial by a teacher who now uses flipped learning: 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment