Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Teachingchannel.org

Teachingchannel.org is a website that seems to provide help for teachers! The website features a plethora of videos dealing with lesson plan ideas to classroom management strategies and also allows you to connect with other teachers to discuss ideas. The age ranges varies from Kindergarten to 12th grade! I feel this website could be very beneficial to me in the future, especially because I am a visual learner. Watching these videos and seeing how things are done instead of reading a paper or essay have made me more aware of ideas and also have opened my eyes to what is currently going on in our school systems.
 
One video I decided to watch was on visual number combinations for Kindergartners. The video provided me with an idea on how to approach a lesson on such a standard. Another video I found interesting was a video on a student run lesson called "Keep It or Junk It." It may not be exactly common core, but I found it interesting that a 5th grade class could teach a lesson so well! I also feel this is a great way to show that students know the information because they have to teach it! A final video which I thought was 'cute' in a sense was about a Kindergarten teacher who used a game called "Mingle and Count" to teach number sense. I think this could be a good ice breaker game for younger children while also allowing them to get up and physically move around the classroom. I hope to teach younger grades and have also decided to add a concentration in Math, so a few of these videos really helped me learn tricks of the trade and ideas for future reference!
 
The video below is one I watched that describes how states are making the adjustment to the Common Core Standards, particularly in math.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment